Home Canned Salsa with Lime Juice
Have I mentioned I’m married to a native Texan? Back in Texas, salsa is practically it’s own food group. And boy howdy, do we go through a lot of the stuff.
So when I learned how to can a few years ago, salsa was at the top of my priority list. We even added jalapeños to our garden plans just so we could make our own salsa!
Next, I experimented with lime juice, which in our books is key to producing a sweeter result. This recipe is a winner!
It’s the perfect way to use up fresh garden tomatoes, plus onion, garlic, jalapeños, and cilantro. And canning is not necessary. Feel free to eat this salsa fresh!
- The Best Way to Plant Tomatoes
- Basic Tomato Sauce for Canning or Freezing
- Home Canned Tomato Soup
- Quick & Easy Tomato Basil Soup
- Honey Tomato Jam
- 7 Ways to Use Dehydrated Tomatoes
- How to Make & Use Tomato Powder
- How to Freeze Whole Tomatoes
UPDATE: After coming across this Garden Salsa recipe, I was curious about using tomato paste to thicken my Home Canned Salsa with Lime Juice. Good news: I did add 2-3 TB tomato paste to my canned salsa this year, and it worked really well! I’ve adjusted the recipe below to include optional tomato paste.Print
- 8 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 TB unrefined sea salt
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- Optional: 2-3 TB tomato paste (to thicken salsa)
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Optional: add 2-3 TB tomato paste to thicken. Stir well to combine.
- Pour hot salsa into hot canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space and add lids.
- Process in boiling water for 15 minutes.
Note: I found this recipe several years ago on a site called “Salsa Garden” (www.salsagarden.com), which apparently no longer exists.
Sign up NOW for my best tips delivered weekly to your inbox!
You’ll also get instant access to my library of free ebooks and resources.