Quick and Easy Tomato Basil Soup
I like to think of this Tomato Basil Soup as a healthy “fast food” option. It comes together quickly without sacrificing any flavor, while nourishing my family with nutrient dense ingredients.
Any meal that comes together in less than thirty minutes deserves a regular spot in the dinner rotation, right?
Homegrown ingredients–like home canned tomato sauce, onions, garlic, basil, and bone broth–really make this Tomato Basil Soup sing. No homegrown ingredients? Not to worry; this soup also tastes great with ingredients from the grocery store.
Of course, grilled cheese sandwiches make a fantastic addition to Tomato Basil Soup. We make ours with raw cheddar on locally baked, gluten-free bread. For grain-free quesadillas, try tortillas made from coconut, almond flour, or cassava.
If you need to avoid dairy and grains, I recommend these Onion Nut Crackers.Print
- 1–2 TB butter or coconut oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 48 ounces home canned tomato sauce(1 quart + 1 pint) OR 2 26-ounce cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken bone broth
- 1 cup coconut milk OR raw milk
- 1 TB dried basil OR 2 TB fresh basil
- unrefined sea salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- optional: 5 drops liquid stevia
- Heat large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add butter or oil and melt.
- Add chopped onions and saute until tender.
- Next, add minced garlic and cook about 30 seconds more.
- Add tomato sauce and stir to combine.
- When tomato sauce is warmed through, add chicken broth and stir to combine.
- When chicken broth is incorporated, add coconut milk and stir to combine.
- Stir in basil, salt, and pepper.
- Optionally, add 5 drops liquid stevia.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree or carefully pour soup into a blender and blend.
- Serve hot.
Do you like soup? Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a free printable collection of my family’s favorite soup recipes!
Sign up NOW for my best tips delivered weekly to your inbox!
You’ll also get instant access to my library of free ebooks and resources.