Mexican Eggs Breakfast Bowl
Simplify your dinner prep with tasty, nourishing soups! My short, practical ebook is filled with my family’s favorite one-pot, gluten-free, real-food soup recipes.
Get your free copy of Delicious Gluten-Free Soups today!
You know what they say…Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
Mexican eggs: breakfast of champions
We take breakfast pretty seriously around here! With three active boys and a full schedule, a solid, protein-packed meal is essential to starting our day off right.
When you’ve got chickens in the backyard, eggs are an obvious choice. And when eggs are plentiful, you find yourself searching for new ways to use them.
When everyone is tired of scrambled eggs again, try whipping up some Mexican Eggs for breakfast. It’s a whole new way to eat scrambled eggs!
Mexican Eggs are packed with protein, good fats, and flavor. They’re also pretty simple to throw together. Each person can customize their own bowl with their toppings of choice. That’s a big plus! One of my kids likes salsa, but not avocado. The other likes avocado but not salsa.
This way, everyone is happy.
By the way, Mexican Eggs are perfect for overnight house guests. Keep things casual, and leave the beans and eggs on the stove. Stack some bowls on one side, and group the toppings on the opposite side. Presto! An egg buffet.
Optional: essential oils
Oh, one more thing about the recipe…it uses essential oils. How cool is that?
Now, obviously you can use real lime juice if you’ve got it on hand. And regular ground cumin will work, too. But nothing beats the ease of simply adding one drop of each oil to your beans. And the flavor is sooooo good!
A word of caution: essential oils are highly concentrated. A little goes a long way. Make sure to start with just one drop of each oil! You can always add another drop for stronger flavor, especially if you’re cooking an especially large pot of beans.
One easy method to prevent over-oiling is to add one drop of the essential oil to a (metal! not plastic!) spoon. Drip the oil into your hand, and use the oil on your body, in your water, whatever. Then stir the spoon into the beans.
You’re going to love the flavor the oils add to your Mexican Eggs! Cha cha cha!Print
- 2 cups cooked black beans (I soak and cook my own)
- 1/2 cup salsa or more, to taste (my favorite brand)
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 drop Lime oil or fresh lime juice to taste
- 1 drop Cumin oil or ground cumin to taste
- Bacon drippings or fat of choice
- 8 eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated cheddar (raw is best)
- Sour cream (from a good source)
- Diced avocado
- Place first three ingredients in a saucepan and heat over medium until heated through and bubbling.
- Turn the burner off and allow beans to cool for a few minutes.
- Then add essential oils.
- Heat skillet over medium heat and add bacon drippings.
- Scramble eggs with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Combine black bean mixture and scrambled eggs in individual bowls, and add optional toppings.
What’s your favorite way to jazz up scrambled eggs?
Sign up NOW for my best tips delivered weekly to your inbox!
You’ll also get instant access to my library of free ebooks and resources.