Hearty Black Bean Salsa Soup
Simplify your dinner prep with tasty, nourishing soups! My short, practical ebook is filled with my family’s favorite one-pot, gluten-free, real-food soup recipes.
Get your free copy of Delicious Gluten-Free Soups today!
Soup is on the menu at least weekly here at the Roots and Boots, and this Black Bean Salsa Soup is a family favorite. It’s hearty and nourishing, even without any meat.
We have a pretty constant supply of homemade broth since I’m always making multiple batches of broth from the same chicken or beef bones. This means I’m always on the lookout for nourishing ways to use up the broth sans meat.
This Black Bean Salsa Soup is a great way to do just that!
Another reason I love Black Bean Salsa Soup is that either chicken or beef broth will do. For whatever reason, it seems that more recipes call for chicken broth than beef broth. So, again, I often wind up with extra beef broth in the freezer. When that happens, I plan to make this hearty soup!
About the beans…I make my own. Did you know that canned foods absorb BPA and other potentially toxic substances from the lining of the can?
We do eat some canned foods like coconut milk, pumpkin, and tomato paste, but I’ve tried to eliminate unnecessary canned foods, like beans, from our pantry. Beans are so easy to soak and cook! Plus, it’s more cost effective to cook your own beans.
- 8–9 cups cooked black beans (or 5 14-oz. cans)
- 1–2 cups salsa (We love Amy’s)
- 1–2 cups diced roasted red pepper (I use 1 12-oz bag frozen)
- 4–5 cups chicken or beef broth (homemade is best)
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried mint or 1 drop peppermint oil
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro or 1 drop cilantro oil
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1.5 teaspoons unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Juice from 1 whole lime or 2 drops Lime oil
- 2 teaspoons dried mint or 1 drop Peppermint oil + 1 drop Spearmint oil
- Sour cream (full-fat organic)
- Shredded raw cheddar
- Diced avocado
- In a blender, combine about 6 cups beans (reserve about 2 cups), broth, salsa, 1 cup red peppers, and spices. Do not add essential oils. Blend in batches, if necessary.
- Add blended mixture to a large pot and heat over medium heat until bubbly.
- Add the rest of the black beans, red peppers, and shredded zucchini. Stir well.
- Simmer over med-low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently and scraping the bottom of the pot to prevent beans from sticking.
- At the end, add essential oils and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with sour cream, shredded raw cheddar, and/or diced avocados.
- I like to serve Black Bean Soup with these Easy Homemade Crackers.
- Click here to shop my favorite kitchen tools and real food ingredients.
- Click here to save 15% off my favorite, healthy brand of salt. Use code KEEPITREAL.
Adapted from Frugal Granola’s Black Bean Soup recipe.
Sign up NOW for my best tips delivered weekly to your inbox!
You’ll also get instant access to my library of free ebooks and resources.