Simple Paleo Sweet Potato Cakes
Simplify your dinner prep with tasty, nourishing soups! My short, practical ebook is filled with my family’s favorite one-pot, gluten-free, real-food soup recipes.
Get your copy of Nourishing Soups today!
These Paleo Sweet Potato Cakes are the bomb! Perfect for any meal of the day, including snack time.
All three of my boys love them, which is saying a lot. #momwin They’d be perfect for packed lunches or as an easy toddler snack on the go!
So many ways to enjoy Paleo Sweet Potato Cakes:
- with eggs and sauteed greens for a nutritious breakfast
- as the “bread” for delicious mini-sandwiches at lunch
- inside apple sandwiches for lunch or a snack
- as a veggie side to accompany just about any meat at the dinner table.
No Need to Peel
I don’t bother to peel the sweet potatoes. Mostly because it saves time but also because the skin is pretty nutritious. Just scrub the potatoes well and slice off the end nubs, then shred in your food processor.* Note: I usually purchase organic sweet potatoes, and this year we’re growing our own! When using conventionally grown sweet potatoes, you may prefer to peel them.
Just Go With It
Also, feel free to experiment with any type of allium you have on hand. Green onions/scallions are mild. Chives add a touch of garlicky flavor. I’ve used a combination of scallions plus chives, which was delicious. Shallots or leeks or even regular onions might work, too. Each type of onion will lend a variation on the flavor. Trust your instinct and use whatever is available!
*Have I mentioned my new heavy duty food processor? Happy Mother’s Day to me! Some moms ask for a spa day or designer bag, but not me. Just buy me a professional grade kitchen appliance.
Seriously, my new food processor replaced the only one I’ve ever used. It was time. I used the heck out of the first one! It wasn’t sealing properly anymore and frankly was not big enough to accommodate all the cooking I do for my husband plus three growing boys! I’m loving the new model. Highly recommend!Print
- approx. 1/2 cup coconut oil or bacon drippings (for the pan)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons green onions or chives, chopped
- 4 cups shredded sweet potato
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients except oil / drippings and sweet potato and mix well.
- Stir in sweet potatoes.
- In the meantime, heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil to the skillet.
- When oil is hot, drop sweet potato mixture by the spoonful into the skillet. My spoonful probably equals about 2 tablespoons. If you make them too big, they’ll be harder to flip and more likely to fall apart.
- Flatten with the back of the spoon or with a spatula.
- Cook for a few minutes on each side, or until browned and crispy.
- Transfer cooked cakes to a dish lined with a paper towel.
- Repeat in batches, adding more coconut oil to the pan as necessary.
- Serve hot.
- Click here to shop my favorite kitchen tools and real food ingredients.
- Click here to save 15% off my favorite, healthy brand of salt. Use code KEEPITREAL.
Sign up NOW for my best tips delivered weekly to your inbox!
You’ll also get instant access to my library of free ebooks and resources.