Paleo Beef and Veggie Soup with Sweet Potato
If you’ve ever wondered what to do with leftover roast beef, you will love this Paleo Beef and Veggie Soup. In fact, you may even decide to make a slow cooker pot roast just so you can make this soup with the leftovers. It’s that good.
The flavor is perfect, thanks to several key ingredients:
- sweet potato
- red wine
- plenty of herbs
Regular potatoes are high in starch, high on the glycemic index, and pretty much devoid of significant nutrition. For this reason, they’re generally not included in a Paleo diet. This stew really called for something potato-ish, so I used a sweet potato. Perfect!Print
- 2 cups leftover roast beef or steak
- coconut oil
- 1 12-oz. bag mirepoix (or 1.5 cup diced onion, celery & carrot)
- 2 TB tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- approx. 6 cups beef broth
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small granny smith apple, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 3/4 tsp* to 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Heat 2 TB coconut oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Saute mirepoix until tender, then remove and set aside.
- Turn the heat to low and add a bit more coconut oil plus the garlic.
- Cook for about 30 seconds, then add tomato paste and beef. Stir to combine.
- Add the wine and continue to cook and stir for a few minutes.
- When the wine is absorbed, add the warm mirepoix back to the pot.
- Add the broth and all remaining ingredients.
- Bring soup to a boil, then lower heat and cover.
- Simmer, covered, for at least 30 minutes and up to several hours.
- Remove bay leaf and serve with Almond Flour Biscuits.
My original recipe called for 1 tsp salt, but now that seems like too much! I’ve adjusted the recipe to begin at 3/4 tsp salt. Feel free to adjust according to your family’s preference. Be sure to use unrefined sea salt, which is very nourishing to the body. Regular table salt is completely different; it actually strips the body of important nutrients. Unrefined sea salt for the win!
Adapted from Paleo Newbie’s All Day Beef & Veggie Soup.
Sign up NOW for my best tips delivered weekly to your inbox!
You’ll also get instant access to my library of free ebooks and resources.