Mashed Cauliflower Faux-tatoes
You win some, you lose some. Especially when it comes to kids and vegetables.
Take cauliflower, for example. Cauli-rice? My kids are not fans. Mashed Cauliflower Faux-tatoes? Score!
I am so super thrilled with this easy, delicious, kid-approved alternative to rice or white potatoes. Mashed Cauliflower Faux-tatoes provide the illusion of a starchy-grainy side dish next to our meat, when really it’s all vegetables, baby.
They really are delicious. I’ve never been too keen on mashed potatoes, especially since we overhauled our diet. But I could really chow down on these faux-tatoes!
One of the best parts is the quick prep time. Wash, chop, steam, puree. That’s it!
I hope these Mashed Cauliflower Faux-tatoes are as big of a hit at your house as they have been at mine…Print
- 5 whole garlic cloves, or about 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 head cauliflower, trimmed into florets
- 1/4–1/2 cup liquid (almond milk, bone broth, etc.)
- 3 TB coconut oil or butter
- 1 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Roast the garlic:
Whole cloves in the oven–Preheat to 425. Drizzle unpeeled cloves with a bit of melted coconut oil and roast in the oven for about 15 minutes.
Minced jarred garlic on the stove–Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add garlic in an even layer and cook for a few minutes until it starts to brown.
- Place cauliflower florets in a large saucepan with about 1/2 inch water. Cover, and steam for about 10 minutes.
- Drain the water completely and add steamed cauliflower to a food processor.
- If using whole garlic cloves, squeeze the garlic skins to release the cloves.
- Add the garlic; milk or broth; oil or butter; salt; and pepper to the food processor.
- Process until smooth and creamy.
- Click here to shop my favorite kitchen tools and real food ingredients.
- Click here to save 15% off my favorite, healthy brand of salt. Use code KEEPITREAL.
- I use homemade bone broth and coconut oil. This keeps our Mashed Cauliflower Faux-tatoes dairy-free, and adds great taste and nutrition.
Have you tried Cauli-rice or Mashed Cauliflower Faux-tatoes? What was your family’s reaction?
12 NOURISHING GLUTEN-FREE SOUP RECIPES
Simplify your dinner prep with these tasty, nourishing soups!
Sign up NOW for my best tips delivered weekly to your inbox!
You’ll also get instant access to my library of free ebooks and resources.