25 Real Food Snacks for Kids
Simplify your dinner prep with tasty, nourishing soups! My short, practical ebook is filled with my family’s favorite one-pot, gluten-free, real-food soup recipes.
Get your free copy of Delicious Gluten-Free Soups today!
I’m hungry. Can I have a snack? If you hear this phrase as often as I do, you’ll love this list of simple real food snacks for kids.
Pro tip: Get my free printable list of 50+ Real Food Snacks for Kids in my Resource Library!
It can be tricky to find acceptable real food snacks for kids, especially if you’re switching over from packaged snacks. But with a bit of planning on your part and a little training for the kids, it’s totally doable.
Skip the Junk
Unlike virtually all processed, prepackaged snacks, the foods on this list are low in refined sugar and high in nutritional value. Each of these snacks contain healthy fats to support brain development, as well as protein to maintain proper energy and blood sugar levels.
I should probably point out that my kids don’t snack much. In fact, my middle guy (he’s six) is the only one who regularly asks for snacks.
He is the same child who often claims to be hungry immediately after a large meal and I am sort of terrified to think of his teenage food consumption…
At our house, snacks typically occur after rest time in the afternoon. We also pack snacks for long errand sprees or road trips.
25+ Real Food Snacks for Kids
The snacks listed below are the top picks at my house. The list is divided into two sections.
- Low Prep Snacks are easy to grab from the fridge or pantry, and can even be assembled by the kids themselves.
- Make Ahead Snacks require a bit of upfront prep time by mom or an older sibling, but are then equally easy for kids to grab and go.
Many of the snacks on this list travel pretty well. In fact, I often combine several of these “snacks” to create a packed lunch or a hearty snack for eating in the car.
Bonus: Check out my top 8 Paleo travel foods.
And by the way, these real food snacks for kids are equally great for grownups.
Low Prep Snacks
Grab and go for most kids with basic kitchen skills (washing fruit, slicing an apple, slicing cheese, spreading nut butter, etc.). Teach your older kids to use a sharp knife properly; use a nylon knife for kids for younger children.
- Celery sticks + nut butter
- Apple slices + nut butter
- Apple + handful of crispy nuts
- Banana + handful of crispy nuts
- Homemade trailmix (+ optional fruit)
- Homemade granola (+ optional fruit)
- Hummus + carrot chips, sliced cucumber, radishes, etc.
- Hummus + rice crackers or homemade crackers
- Yogurt (raw/organic) + cooked or fresh fruit
- Beef sticks (from a good source) + raw cheddar cheese
- Applegate Farms Deli Ham + raw cheddar cheese
- Applegate Farms Deli Ham + avocado
Bonus: Check out my top 8 Paleo travel foods.
Make Ahead Snacks
These snacks are pretty simple for kids to grab on their own once you’ve done the blending, baking, boiling or freezing. Most of them keep well, too, making it possible to prepare a huge batch to last for a week or so.
- Easy Almond Flour Graham Crackers
- Gummy Treats with Real Fruit
- Almond Flour Zucchini Muffins
- Almond Flour Blueberry Muffins
- Raw cheddar cheese + homemade crackers
- Plantain pancake (optional: add nut butter + fruit)
- Paleo waffle (optional: add nut butter + fruit)
- Sliced Almond Butter Bread, toasted with nut butter + sliced fruit
- Hard boiled egg + unrefined sea salt
- Plantain Chips + guacamole or sliced avocado + unrefined sea salt
- Stove top popcorn
Always Be Prepared
You know your kids will get hungry, and you know you want to nourish their bodies with real food. So keep your fridge and pantry stocked with these simple real food snacks for kids, and you won’t have to worry the next time someone says I’m hungry. Can I have a snack?
A Word About Safe & Reusable Snack Containers
If you’re in the market for nontoxic (non-plastic) and reusable snack containers, you’ll want to read these posts:
- LunchBots Leak Proof Stainless Steel Condiment Containers
- LunchBots Leak Proof Stainless Steel Rounds
- LunchBots Stainless Steel Food Container
- LunchBots Large Stainless Steel Food Container
- LunchBots Small Stainless Steel Snack Container
- Gobble-n-Go Stainless Steel Snack Cup for Toddlers
- Itzy Ritzy Reusable Snack Bags
- Lunchskins Reusable Snack Bags (with zipper)
What are your favorite real food snacks for kids (or grownups)?
Sign up NOW for my best tips delivered weekly to your inbox!
You’ll also get instant access to my library of free ebooks and resources.