Gluten Free Leftover Turkey and Rice Casserole
Simplify your dinner prep with tasty, nourishing soups! My short, practical ebook is filled with my family’s favorite one-pot, gluten-free, real-food soup recipes.
Get your copy of Nourishing Soups today!
Leftover turkey is a good problem. Heck, leftover anything is a good problem! Am I right?
As I always say, leftovers are a mom’s best friend.
But sometimes all that cooked turkey can pose a challenge. Who has the energy to think up creative dishes when you’ve just survived one big holiday and are headed directly into another even bigger holiday?
If you’re looking for a Real Food recipe to use up all that leftover turkey, you’ll love this Leftover Turkey and Rice Casserole. It’s gluten-free! Plus, it’s a great way to sneak in some veggies (spinach).
So save your brain power for the holidays ahead and put this Leftover Turkey and Rice Casserole on your meal plan for the week following Thanksgiving. Or Christmas. Or whenever you find yourself with a bunch of leftover turkey staring you down from the refrigerator…Print
Turn all that leftover turkey into this delicious gluten-free casserole.
- 2 TB coconut oil
- about 3/4 cup frozen chopped onion
- 1 tsp Homemade Herbamare (or 1/2 tsp salt + 1 tsp salt-free seasoning blend)
- 2 TB brown rice flour
- 1 cup chicken or turkey stock
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sour cream
- Main Ingredients:
- 3 cups cooked rice
- about 2 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach or 2.5 cups packed fresh leaves
- 1/2 cup grated raw cheddar
- 1/4 tsp Homemade Herbamare
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup grated raw cheddar
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Melt coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions, salt and Herbamare.
- Cook about 10 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Add brown rice flour and stir. Cook for a few minutes, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Add chicken or turkey stock and heat until just simmering.
- Stir in chopped spinach, sour cream, diced turkey and rice.
- Pour half the mixture into an 8×11 glass baking dish.
- Spread 1/2 cup grated raw cheddar over the mixture in one even layer.
- Top with the remaining rice mixture and spread evenly over the layer of cheese.
- Use the remaining 1/4 cup grated raw cheddar to add a thin layer over the casserole.
- Lightly sprinkle 1/4 tsp Homemade Herbamare and 1/4 tsp Paprika over the casserole.
- Bake 15 minutes, uncovered.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then serve.
Sign up NOW for my best tips delivered weekly to your inbox!
You’ll also get instant access to my library of free ebooks and resources.