Simple ingredients with amazing flavor. Feel free to use any greens you have on hand: spinach, kale, chard, beet greens, etc.
- 1 lb bulk sausage
- 1 TB Italian seasoning (or 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp parsley, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp rosemary, and 1/4 tsp thyme)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, chopped (2–3 cups)
- 4–5 cups homemade chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1–2 cups spinach leaves
- Brown sausage in a large pot, breaking up clumps. I prefer my cast iron dutch oven for this recipe.
- When the sausage is almost cooked through, add Italian seasoning.
- Stir to combine and cook sausage until traces of pink are gone.
- Add chopped onion and cook about 5 minutes, until onions are tender.
- Add salt, pepper, and garlic. Stir well and cook about 30 seconds.
- Add sweet potatoes, broth, and bay leaf, and stir well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Just before serving, remove bay leaf and toss in the spinach. Stir well.
- Serve with almond flour biscuits or onion nut dehydrator crackers.