Simple Paleo sugar cookies that taste just like the real deal. Perfect as cut out cookies.
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour (blanched, finely ground)
- 1/4 cup arrowroot or tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of unrefined sea salt*
HONEY CREAM FROSTING
- 1 tablespoon palm shortening
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot or tapioca starch, sifted
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Whisk together almond flour and arrowroot.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until well combined and a sticky dough forms.
- For cut out cookies, chill dough in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- Remove dough from the fridge and sandwich between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll to 1/4 inch thickness. The thinner the dough, the crispier the cookies, and the thicker the dough, the softer the cookies.
- Bake cookies at 350 F for 10-12 minutes. For softer cookies, remove them from the oven before the edges begin to brown. These cookies will crisp up a bit more as they cool, so it’s best to err on the soft side.
- Allow cookies to cool at least 30 minutes before frosting.
- To make the Honey Cream Frosting, simply combine the ingredients in a small bowl and stir well to combine. A skinny silicone spatula works well for this.
- For coloring the frosting, I like this natural brand of food dye.
*Get 15% off my favorite unrefined sea salt with this code: KEEPITREAL.