Don’t toss your squash or pumpkin seeds! Instead, turn them into tasty pepitas. Salt is the key ingredient here: simply brine and roast for a tasty topping or snack.
- 1 cup squash or pumpkin seeds
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons unrefined sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon oil of choice, such as avocado
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Save the seeds from a squash or pumpkin and place in a colander.
- Rinse well, using your fingers to rub the seeds and separate them from the pulp.
- Add seeds, water, and salt to a small to medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and return seeds to the colander to drain.
- Transfer seeds to a towel and pat until mostly dry.
- Toss seeds with oil and sprinkle with a bit more salt, to taste.
- Spread oiled and salted seeds in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Check on the seeds halfway through and give them a shake or a stir to ensure even cooking.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Add to soups, salads, or savory dishes for extra flavor and crunch. Also makes a great snack!
- Click here to shop my favorite kitchen tools and real food ingredients.
- Click here to save 15% off my favorite, healthy brand of salt. Use code KEEPITREAL.