With a rich pecan crust and a sweet lime filling, this pecan crusted paleo key lime pie serves up the perfect ending to any meal.
- 1 cup pecans*
- 3/4 cups chopped mixed nuts**
- 1 cup dates, pitted (softened in warm water, if necessary)
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (6–8 small limes)
- heaping 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon tapioca or arrowroot flour
- Combine all crust ingredients in a food processor and process until thick and sticky. Press into a pie dish and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yolk, and honey. Then add coconut cream, lime juice, zest, and tapioca, whisking well until smooth. (An immersion blender works well for this.)
- Pour mixture into the crust and bake for 15 minutes. Then cover loosely with foil to prevent the crust from browning. Bake 10-15 minutes more until just set.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely, then refrigerate until chilled.
- Top with coconut whipped cream and serve.
*I always soak and dry my nuts before using in any recipe. Instructions here for making your own crispy nuts.
**Any combination of nuts will work. I use almonds, cashews, and walnuts. Alternatively, you can use 3/4 cup shredded coconut for a flavor twist.