This Home Canned Tomato Soup is a great way to use up fresh summer produce from the garden while also adding extra veggies to your family’s meal plan.
- 8 quarts tomatoes, cored and chopped (Fill an 8-cup glass measuring cup four times. According to my research, 1 quart = about 3 pounds tomatoes. So 8 quarts = 24 pounds.)
- 5 cups pureed onion
- 3.5 cups pureed celery
- 3.5 cups pureed peppers (mostly red with a bit of green)
- 2 cups pureed carrots
- 1 TB fresh basil leaves
- 1 bulb garlic
- 4 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 2 bay leaves
- Puree the veggies in a high speed blender. I like to puree the tomatoes, too.
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook slowly until thick.
- Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- Remove bay leaves!
- Ladle into clean, hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- In a pressure canner, process pints and quarts for 20 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.
- To serve, add milk of choice and season to taste with unrefined sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.